Carine Roitfeld Interview


Fashion writer, Dhani Mau, tells readers that,
"In anticipation of Carine Roitfeld‘s new book, Irreverent, the Times interviewed the former French Vogue editor for the Sunday Magazine. And we all know Carine gives a good interview. This one is brief, but she speaks frankly about Tom Ford (there’s a cute thank you letter from him in the book), that French Vogue spread that caused a media shitstorm (and her firing from the glossy?), why she named the book Irreverent and more. Here are the best bits.

On going on a romantic date with Tom Ford:
“O.K., Tom, unfortunately for the woman, is gay. But he is very not so gay. Even the way he touches a woman, the way he puts his hand on your back or the way he opens the car for you, he’s a gentleman. You’re dying that he likes everything you’re wearing, everything you’re doing, because his taste is very important to you. You want to seduce him all the time.”




On the December 2010 Issue of French Vogue (you know, the one with 10-year-old Thylane Blondeau posing seductively with bunnies in an evening gown):
“A lot of people say I was fired because of this issue, because of the little girls dressed in mom clothes…It was very, very controversial. Old couples, kids, surgery. But it was not done on purpose because I was leaving. It was done before that, you know.”

On whether she should apologize for that or for doing all those bondage editorials:
“The reason I call my book “Irreverent” is because there were a lot of pictures that were very irreverent. Maybe I could call my book “Forgiving” because maybe I made a lot of errors too.”

On American style:
“When I see a woman in the street, sometimes I think, Oh, it’s a bit too comfortable the way she is dressing, you know? And not in a nice way.”

On her distaste for certain clothing based on smell and sound:
“I like fur, but there’s a sort of smell on it that now I don’t like. But I can’t say I will never wear fur again because I will lie. Maybe tomorrow I’m going to see a beautiful mink coat, and I’ll really want it, even if there is some smell in it. I will put perfume on. Mules I’m sure I will never wear. I hate the noise when someone walks with mules. Clomp, clomp, clomp. I think it’s very not chic.” - Fashionista.com